Taxpayer Home

Find answers to your IRS questions from the experts

Enrolled agents (EAs) are America’s Tax Experts®. EAs are the only federally licensed tax practitioners who specialize in taxation and also have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS.

Whether you have complicated tax returns, problems with unfiled returns or a dispute with the IRS over money owed, you need to be absolutely sure that you have an expert on your side.  An Enrolled Agent is the gold standard when it comes to dealing with the IRS-trained specifically to deal with this agency on your behalf.

Specialized experience and expertise will help you untangle the most difficult IRS issue.

Find a local Enrolled Agent

Learn More About Enrolled Agents

IRS Toll Free Numbers

Useful IRS Forms Click here

  • EA’s are licensed and regulated by the Federal Government
  • EA’s must past a rigorous exam OR have worked at the IRS for 5 years
  • EA’s are allowed confidentiality with you, the client, in cases involving audits and collection matters
  • EA’s are an elite group of IRS specialist.  Nationally, only 46,000 meet the stringent IRS requirements.

I can’t afford to pay my back taxes. Is there any hope?

Offer in Compromise: The purpose of this program has been to allow the IRS to collect some amount of back taxes from those with limited ability or resources. It has been extremely difficult to work out reasonable offers because of how the IRS calculated their formulas. Recently, the IRS loosened the criteria, taking into account, “Consideration should be given to the taxpayer’s overall general situation including such facts as age, health, marital status, number and age of dependents, level of education or occupational training, and work experience.” (Source: IRS). Agreements have even been made with currently operating businesses, although this is rare. Payment plans in excess of 24 months have not been granted.

Can I pay my back taxes over time?

Setting up Installment Agreements: This is a fairly straightforward procedure-you can even do it yourself by going to and from the pull down menu, select “I need to set up a payment plan.” But be aware that missing payments means potential fees, the possibility of losing your plan or even having money taken from your bank account. If you owe less than $25,000 for your current year, you can pay over 120 days without setting up a payment plan. For liabilities in excess of $25,000, talk to an Enrolled Agent to come up with the best plan available to you.

I want to fight an IRS audit decision.

Challenge of Prior Audit Decisions– You can request an audit reconsideration by exercising your right of appeal via a direct appeal or tax court petition. The IRS is known to be aggressive and overly broad in its’ audit findings. You do not have to pay the amount before filing an appeal, provided that you respond properly and promptly. This can be done via an appeal process or in via the United States Tax Court.

Unfiled Returns-What can I do?

Preparation of Unfiled Tax Returns: Since there are both civil and possible criminal penalties possible with unfiled taxes, you will need both a tax attorney and a tax professional to help you. In most cases, individuals with unfiled taxes will face civil penalties and will be expected to pay 25% of the taxes due.

You may find that the IRS has prepared a return in lieu of the one you should have filed, called a Substitute for Return. With our assistance, you file your own return for this period.

My ex-spouse has tax problems, but I had nothing to do with them.  Now what?

Innocent Spouse Appeal is intended to shield you from tax errors or fraud committed by a current or ex- spouse without your knowledge. But less than half of the appeals filed with the IRS are granted. Common reasons are procedural errors,  and the failure to make a complete and compelling case why you should not have been expected to know of your spouses’ errors or fraud.  You will need an experienced tax professional to help you tell your story, focusing on the circumstances that bolster your case, such as domestic abuse, or lack of access to the financial information used to complete the tax return that you signed.

The IRS made a mistake, and it’s costing me.  Can I do anything?

Business and Payroll Tax Problems/Errors From calculation errors, to late filings, failure to make accurate payroll tax deposits, or failure to issue or failure to issue w-2’s and 1099’s will result in penalties.

The best way to avoid fines and penalties is to seek the help of an Enrolled Agent to get your payroll processes set up in the first place.  If you do get behind, or if the IRS is fining you in error, let one of us help you.