About Us

The Texas Society of Enrolled Agents (TxSEA) was formed in 1989 with the merger of two Enrolled Agent groups—the Texas Association of Enrolled Agents and the Texas Enrolled Agent Society.

At the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA) annual meeting in Chicago, IL, the Articles of the Texas Society of Enrolled Agents were presented and TxSEA became the official state affiliate of NAEA.

Since its formation, TxSEA has grown in influence and membership.  Its Chapters are currently located in Plano, Euless, Houston and San Antonio which represent the strength of our society.

TxSEA’s  influence spans the entire state as well as to Washington, D.C. via our liaison at the IRS.  Additionally, TxSEA has had two of it’s members serve as Presidents of NAEA as well as many committees, the board and as directors of NAEA.  Many of our members are fully involved in the Legislative process annually during “Fly-In Day” in Washington D.C. every spring.  Our efforts there have benefited ALL taxpayers and has protected the right to practice for Every Enrolled Agent in our country!

What is an Enrolled Agent?

Enrolled Agents (E.A.’s) are America’s Tax Experts. E.A.’s are the only federally licensed tax practitioners and the ONLY  tax professionals who are defined in the U.S. Tax Code, who have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS.  Enrolled agents were first recognized on July 7, 1884 by an Act of Congress signed into law by President Chester A. Arthur, which came about due to fraudulent war loss claims following the Civil War. The “Enabling Act” or “Horse Act of 1884,” which stipulated that enrollment was governed by a committee on enrollment and disbarment, was meant to ensure that enrolled “agents, attorneys, or other persons representing claimants” could help settle claims associated with property the government had seized for use in the Civil War.

What does the term “Enrolled Agent (E.A.)” mean?

“Enrolled” means to be licensed to practice by the federal government, and “Agent” means authorized to appear in the place of the taxpayer before the IRS. Only Enrolled Agents, Attorneys, and CPA’s have unlimited rights to represent taxpayers before the IRS.

How does one become an Enrolled Agent?

The license is earned in one of two ways, by passing a comprehensive examination which covers all aspects of the tax code, or having worked at the IRS for five years in a position which regularly interpreted and applied the tax code and its regulations. All candidates are subjected to a rigorous background check conducted by the IRS.

How can an Enrolled Agent help me?

Enrolled agents advise, represent, and prepare tax returns for individuals, partnerships, corporations, estates, trusts, and any entities with tax-reporting requirements. Enrolled Agents’ expertise in the continually changing field of taxation enables them to effectively represent taxpayers at all administrative levels within the IRS.

Privilege and the Enrolled Agent

The IRS Restructuring and Reform Act of 1998 allow federally authorized practitioners (those bound by the Department of Treasury’s Circular 230 regulations) a limited client privilege. This privilege allows confidentiality between the taxpayer and the Enrolled Agent under certain conditions. The privilege applies to situations in which the taxpayer is being represented in cases involving audits and collection matters. It is not applicable to the preparation and filing of a tax return. This privilege does not apply to state tax matters, although a number of states have an accountant-client privilege.

Are Enrolled Agents required to take continuing education?

YES!!! In addition to the stringent testing and application process, the IRS requires Enrolled Agents to complete 72 hours of continuing education, reported every three years, to maintain their enrolled agent status. NAEA members are held to a higher standard, they are obligated to complete 30 hours per year (for a total of 90 hours per three year period).  We at Adams & Adams Professional Services, LLC typically exceed this requirement by taking at minimum 60 hours per year (180 hours per three year period), however often much more that this.  Because of the expertise necessary to become an Enrolled Agent and the requirements to maintain the license, there are only about 50,000 practicing Enrolled Agents.

What are the differences between Enrolled Agents and other tax professionals?

Only Enrolled Agents are required to demonstrate to the IRS their competence in all areas of taxation, representation and ethics before they are given unlimited representation rights before IRS. Unlike attorneys and CPA’s, who are state licensed and who may or may not choose to specialize in taxes, all Enrolled Agents specialize in taxation.

Are Enrolled Agents bound by any ethical standards?

Enrolled Agents are required to abide by the provisions of the Department of Treasury’s Circular 230, which provides the regulations governing the practice of Enrolled Agents before the IRS. NAEA members are also bound by a Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct of the Association.

Why should I choose an Enrolled Agent who is a member of the National Association of Enrolled Agents (NAEA)?

The principal concern of the National Association of Enrolled Agents and its members is honest, intelligent and ethical representation of the financial position of taxpayers before the governmental agencies. Members of NAEA must fulfill continuing professional education requirements that exceed the IRS’ required minimum. In addition, NAEA members adhere to a stringent Code of Ethics and Rules of Professional Conduct of the Association, as well as the Treasury Department’s Circular 230 regulations. NAEA members belong to a strong network of experienced, well-trained tax professionals who effectively represent their clients and work to make the tax code fair and reasonably enforced.

Enrolled Agents are America’s Tax Experts!